Tuesday, June 23, 2015

The Baby Topic

I know what I want because they are "MY WANTS." Today a coworker mentioned to me that our workplace has reduced our parental leave policy. Since I am 40 she mentioned another younger coworker that this would effect. I asked her why wouldn't this affect me? She said your 40 I assumed your weren't having kids. WOW A.) It's none of your business and B.) I don't remember you having access to my brain in regards to my wants in regards to having children. I was on the verge of crying from her comment. Who the f*ck does she think she is? Kids when I was younger were always something I wanted to have but I didn't want to do it alone. Finding Mr. Good Enough isn't good enough for me. I want a man I'm in love with, I want to have our kids and for our kids to see the love between us.

Its things like this that anger me about people who make assumptions based on my age. I could eventually adopt. I could met the man of my dreams in the next 5 minutes and we could end up getting married and having kids. From this moment on I realize that you really shouldn't share your personal business to your coworkers. My business is my business and no one else's. I understand that you should be able to work with your co-workers and have connections for a better environment but this person is just too much for me.

I always refer to the quote by Eleanor Roosevelt, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent” when something someone does or says really stings deep. This was definitely one of those occasions. I guess its not just about kids but actually finding my love. I'm glad I did stand up for myself and always look from the outside in and ask myself what would I do if I heard this said to someone else. I'd be supportive and thank God that this person has not control over their life.

Til the next time.

- Loree

2 comments:

  1. Sorry you encountered such short-sightenedness from your colleague. Alas, assumptions about gender--roles and expectations--run deep and people too often say things without realizing what they are saying. There is much to say on this topic but in the meantime, yay for you!

    ReplyDelete